On 5/7/19 9:08 PM, Ben Kane wrote:
Sorry Victor, I must have misinterpreted this snippet from the mailbot. Maybe it would be a good idea to re-word it? I'll be happy to open an issue for that in an appropriate mailing list if you think that would help.

Not sure what the original intent was, but I read that as: "Whenever you get to sending your first post, include an introduction in it. But, before you start actively participating, take your time to hang around and absorb the culture."

Perhaps we want to reverse the two sentences to put them in chronological order?

I'm not sure what the proper forum for this discussion would be.

I talked to Barry Warsaw about https://bugs.python.org/issue36837 and he said I should post to python-dev to get feedback. I'll work on that email and post back here once I'm happy with it.

Thanks,
Ben

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 4:47 PM Victor Stinner <vstin...@redhat.com <mailto:vstin...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    Welcome Ben!

    Le mar. 7 mai 2019 à 16:28, Ben Kane <bbk1...@gmail.com
    <mailto:bbk1...@gmail.com>> a écrit :
     > My name is Ben Kane. I'm joining this mailing list and
    introducing myself as asked in the "welcome to python-dev" email.
    I've been using Python for maybe 7 years now. I started to learn it
    in college to help with accounting homework and I continue to use it
    now for personal projects ranging from small scripts to larger
    applications and in my day job as a LinkedIn Site Reliability Engineer.

     > I'd like to contribute back to the language that's helped me so
    much; and talking with core devs at PyCon 2019 has really encouraged
    me. So I'll be lurking and trying to pick things up as I see them.

    python-dev is not the proper mail to introduce yourself to contribute.
    I suggest you to start reading http://devguide.python.org/ and please
    send the same email to core-mentorship mailing list:
    https://mail.python.org/mailman3/lists/core-mentorship.python.org/?x=22

    It would help if you can elaborate on which parts of Python you would
    be interested to contribute ;-)

    Victor
-- Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death.

--

Ben Kane