On 20 May 2019, at 22:15, Christian Heimes wrote:

Hi,

here is the first version of my PEP 594 to deprecate and eventually remove modules from the standard library. The PEP started last year with talk during the Python Language Summit 2018, https://lwn.net/Articles/755229/.

[...]

colorsys
~~~~~~~~

The `colorsys <https://docs.python.org/3/library/colorsys.html>`_ module defines color conversion functions between RGB, YIQ, HSL, and HSV coordinate
systems. The Pillow library provides much faster conversation between
color systems.

Module type
  pure Python
Deprecated in
  3.8
To be removed in
  3.10
Substitute
  `Pillow <https://pypi.org/project/Pillow/>`_,
  `colorspacious <https://pypi.org/project/colorspacious/>`_

I'm using colorsys constantly as the basis for a tool that converts CSS colors between different coordinate systems. I don't see how that could be done via Pillow (which AFAICT only converts complete images). RGB<->HSV<->HLS conversion seems to be not available (or not obvious) in colorspacious.

colorsys is a module where we can be pretty sure that it has zero bugs, and doesn't require any maintenance or security updates, so I don't see any reason to deprecate it.

[...]

Servus,
   Walter