HI,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am trying to build
pywin32-224 from source for Python 3.7.4.  I think this might
be the right list as this seems to be a generic problem I am having, but I want
to focus on one particular module.  First, I know
I could get this via 'pip install', but I want to build from source to see what
it takes in terms of the Windows SDK and Visual Studio
versions for some other work I am doing.

I am using Python 3.7.4, and I have Visual Studio 2017 15.9 (released July of
this year).

I see this when running 'python setup.y build':

<bunch of stuff elided>
error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.1 is required. Get it with "Microsoft Visual C++
Build Tools": https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

I have tried various compilers from that link (VS 2015, VS 2017, and even VS
2019), but no joy.  I also have the Windows
SDK 8.1 and 10 installed (pywin32 wants the 8.1 SDK)

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong, or if there is some
weird underlying issue with setuptools and/or
distutils?

Thanks,

Tom