On 23Jul2019 0812, Kacvinsky, Tom wrote:
Tests passed once I used the right Visual Studio Command prompt.  I was using
the
x64 Native toolchain command shell.  Once I switched to the generic command
shell,
all is well.  Thanks for the lick in the right direction, it got me to thinking
that even
though the tools are installed, I should try different Visual Studio shells.

In general, it's better to not use the VS command shell at all. distutils figures out what it needs (setuptools does a better job, for what its worth).

If you are going to use the shell, also set DISTUTILS_USE_SDK=1 to disable the automatic detection. In the wrong shell you'll get a broken build, but it might have unblocked you in this case.

Cheers,
Steve