End-user experience isn't something that can just be argued away.  Steve and I
are reporting a recurring annoyance.  The point of a beta release is to elicit
these kinds of reports so they can be addressed before it is too late.  ISTM
you are choosing not to believe the early feedback and don't want to provide a
mitigation.

This decision reverses 25+ years of Python practice and is the software
equivalent of telling users "you're holding it wrong".   Instead of an
awareness campaign to use the silent-by-default warnings, we're going directly
towards breaking working code.  That seems pretty user hostile to me.

Chris's language survey one shows only language, Lua, that treated this an
error.  For compiled languages that emit warnings, the end-user will never see
those warning so there is no end-user consequence.  In our case though,
end-users will see the messages and may not have an ability to do anything
about it.

I wish people with more product management experience would chime in;
otherwise, 3.8 is going to ship with an intentional hard-to-ignore annoyance on
the premise that we don't like the way people have been programming and that
they need to change their code even if it was working just fine.