On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 11:00 PM Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:

> Victor Stinner wrote:
> > Hi Nick,
> > Le dim. 29 sept. 2019 à 08:47, Nick Coghlan ncogh...@gmail.com a écrit :
> > > I don't quite understand the purpose of this change,
> > > as there's no
> > > stable ABI for applications embedding CPython.
> > > Well, I would like to prepare Python to provide a stable ABI for
> > embedded Python. While it's not a design goal yet
> > (Include/cpython/initconfig.h is currently excluded from
> > Py_LIMITED_API), this change is a step towards that.
>
> So then isn't this a very last-minute, premature optimization if it isn't
> a design goal yet? If that's the case then I would vote not to make the
> change and wait until there's been feedback on 3.8 and then look at
> stabilizing the embedding API such that it can be considered stable.

I just want to chime in here and confirm, as a Professional CPython
Embedder(tm) that embedders cannot currently rely on a stable ABI, or the
limited API, and often not even the public API. It's not just about exposed
symbols and struct sizes, it's often also about the semantics of internals
(e.g. how importlib handles custom module finders and loaders) that subtly
changes. For anything but the simplest PyRun_SimpleString-based embedding
this is more the case when embedding than extending, and even than a
regular (complex) Python program. (I already showed Victor and a few others
some of the hoops we have to jump through at Google to embed CPython
correctly, and only half of those things are necessary just because of
Google's environment.)

--
Thomas Wouters <tho...@python.org>

Hi! I'm an email virus! Think twice before sending your email to help me
spread!