On Oct 15, 2019, at 04:54, Inada Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want Homebrew uses `--enable-optimizations` and `--with-lto` option
> for building Python.  But maintainer said:
>
>> Given this is not a default option, probably not, unless it is done in
>> upstream (“official”) binaries.
>
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/45337
>
> Are these options used for official macOS binaries?
> Is there official information about the build step of official binaries?

We currently do not use those options to build the binaries for the python.org
macOS installers.  The main reason is that the Pythons we provide are built to
support a wide-range of macOS releases and to do so safely we build the
binaries on the oldest version of macOS supported by that installer.  So, for
example, the 10.9+ installer variant is built on a 10.9 system.  Some of the
optimization features either aren't available or are less robust on older build
tools.  And I believe it is more important for the python.org macOS installers
to continue to provide a single installer that is usable on many systems and
can be used in a broad range of applications and by a broad range of users
rather than trying to optimize performance for a specific application: you can
always build your own Python.

As far as what other distributors of Python for macOS do, what we do shouldn't
necessarily constrain them.  I don't see any problem with Homebrew optimizing
for a particular user's installation.  I see that MacPorts, another distributor
of Python on macOS, provides a non-default variant that uses
--enable-optimizations.

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/lang/python37/Portfile

--
  Ned Deily