Adding Python 3.9 and dropping Python 2.7 support are two different
things, but Python 3.9 somehow "enforces" to do both at the same time.

The proposal is to give one year to project maintainers to drop Python
2.7 support, since Python 2.7 end of support just happened a few weeks
ago (2020-01-01).

Big projects have more resources to schedule dropping Python 2
support, coordinated with other projects:
https://python3statement.org/

But for smaller projects with less resources, it's more complicated.
Many very popular Python modules are maintained by a single person
with limited resources. Even if we propose pull requests, it still
takes time to review it, prepare a new release, etc.

Victor