On 1/24/2020 5:50 AM, Ivan Levkivskyi wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 10:05, Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org <mailto:vstin...@python.org>> wrote:

    The proposal is to give one year to project maintainers to drop Python
    2.7 support, since Python 2.7 end of support just happened a few weeks
    ago (2020-01-01).

IMO creating this kind of "gray areas" in support and deprecation issues is bad. What this will create is just more sources for arguing/debates. Once deprecation or EoL schedule is set, it is best to align to it. Discussions about the schedules should happen when setting them, not when
the deadline is coming.

Also I am not sure it is really worth it. For example, importing ABCs directly from collections was deprecated 8 years ago,
what would 1 extra year change?

I think the concern is that with removing so many deprecated features, we're effectively telling libraries that if they want to support 3.9, they'll have stop supporting 2.7. And many library authors aren't willing to do that yet. Will they be willing to in another year? I can't say.

Eric