I think this particular mess was caused by the hiding of
“DeprecationWarning”s by default: If you don’t see any warnings cropping up
in your production code, you don’t know you have to fix something.

Some languages handle it like this:

   1. Silent deprecation warning (deprecated in docs and/or hidden like in
   Python, the most eagle-eyed maintainers will see it and fix it)
   2. Visible deprecation warning (people start seeing it and bug you in
   issues)
   3. Hide things behind a flag: You’ll have breakage but you get a grace
   perior by enabling some scary looking environment variable or so (nobody
   can deny that things are getting serious)
   4. Removal

Going from 1 to 4 is of course pretty harsh, and this is what we’re doing.

I propose that at least in the future, we have a schedule for every single
deprecation to go to a gradual process like above.

Best, Phil