On 2020-01-31 19:47, Mike Miller wrote:

On 2020-01-23 07:20, Victor Stinner wrote:
 > Python 3.9 introduces many small incompatible changes which broke tons

There's a well-known and established way of signaling breaking changes in software platforms—it is to increment the major version number.

Rather than debating the merits of breaking code on 3.9 or 3.10, wouldn't it make more sense to do it in a Python 4.0 instead?  Well, either of these strategies sound logical to me:

- Python 4.0 with removal of all of the Python 3-era deprecations
- Continuing Python 3.1X with no breaks

In other words, we should keep compatibility, or not.  In any case, from the looks of it these will be tiny breaks compared to the Unicode transition.

The Unicode transition also looked very small back when 3.0 was planned.
It only takes one such not-so-little thing to make a big breaking release like 3.0. And even if all the changes were little, I wouldn't want to inflict 10 years of papercuts at once.

When the changes are rolled out gradually across minor releases, those that cause unforeseen trouble in real-world code can be identified in the alphas/betas, and rethought/reverted if necessary.

Ethan Furman wrote:
I've gotta say, I like that plan. Instead of going to x.10, go to x+1.0. Every ten years we bump the major version and get rid of all the deprecations.

I don't. I hope the 10-year (and counting) transition from Python 2 to Python 3 will not become a tradition. I'd rather iterate on making removals less drastic (e.g. by making the DeprecationWarnings more visible). Iterate with a feedback loop, rather than do a one-time change and hope that everything goes well.