On 13/04/2020 11:17, Steve Dower wrote:
On 11Apr2020 1156, Rhodri James wrote:
On 10/04/2020 18:20, Victor Stinner wrote:
Note: Cython and cffi should be preferred to write new C extensions.
This PEP is about existing C extensions which cannot be rewritten with
Cython.

If this is true, the documentation on python.org needs a serious rewrite.  I am in the throes of writing a C extension, and using Cython or cffi never even crossed my mind.

Sorry you missed the first two sections: "Recommended third party tools" and "Creating extensions without third party tools".

https://docs.python.org/3/extending/index.html

"Creating extensions without third party tools" is what I read, because the preceding sections suggested to me that was what I was supposed to do.

The opening paragraph of the document more or less reads as "This is how you write C extensions." It's an intro. That's fair enough.

The next section, "Recommended third party tools", basically says "Third party tools exist." It notably does not say "Use them in preference to what follows," so I didn't even look at them. There is in fact a mild statement at the end of the first paragraph of the next section that should have clued me in, but I missed it because I'd already skipped to the table of contents.

If you have any suggestions on how to make this recommendation more obvious, please open an issue and describe what would have helped.

I'll give it some thought, but fundamentally if you want people to use the third party tools, you need a much stronger statement to that effect. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose reaction to "third party" is "not official then".

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd