On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 9:00 AM Steve Dower <steve.do...@python.org> wrote:

> On 13Apr2020 1325, Paul Moore wrote:
> > Personally, I'd say that "recommended 3rd party tools" reads as saying
> > "if you want a 3rd party tool to build extensions, these are good (and
> > are a lot easier than using the raw C API)". That's a lot different
> > than saying "we recommend that people writing C extensions do not use
> > the raw C API, but use one of these tools instead".
>
> Yeah, that's fair. But at the same time, saying anything more strong is
> an endorsement that we might have to withdraw at some point in the
> future (if the project we recommend implodes, for example).

Ok, so put that in a Pros/Cons list that provides guidance as to what
interface and tools to choose when writing a new extension module.
Personally, I'd put Cython (and other "big" packages, numpy, requests and
such) on par with CPython itself with respect to "likely to implode and
become unusable."