On Fri, 15 May 2020 06:06:00 -0000
"Brandt Bucher" <brandtbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ethan Furman wrote:
> > Can you do those with _pydecimal?  If performance were an issue anywhere I
> > would expect to see it with number crunching.
>
> No difference, probably because those methods look like they spend most of
> their time doing string manipulation:
[ snip micro-benchmarks ]

And in any case, people who are concerned about performance should use
the C decimal accelerator, which is the default.

Here is your micro-benchmark with _pydecimal (which is the pure Python
fallback):

  $ python3.8 -m pyperf timeit -s "$PYPERFSETUP" "$PYPERFRUN"
  Mean +- std dev: 35.4 us +- 1.1 us

Here is the same micro-benchmark with decimal (which loads the C
accelerator by default):

  $ python3.8 -m pyperf timeit -s "$PYPERFSETUP" "$PYPERFRUN"
  Mean +- std dev: 471 ns +- 12 ns

Even if you were losing performance on those 35.4us it wouldn't make
sense to complain about it.

Regards

Antoine.