Brandt Bucher writes:

 > Still agreed. But I think they would be *better* served by the
 > proposed keyword argument.
 >
 > This whole sub-thread of discussion has left me very confused. Was
 > anything unclear in the PEP's phrasing here?

I thought it was quite clear.  Those of us who disagree simply
disagree.  We prefer to provide it as a separate function.  Just move
on, please; you're not going to convince us, and we're not going to
convince you.  Leave it to the PEP Delegate or Steering Council.

 > I wouldn't confuse "can" and "should" here.

You do exactly that in arguing for your preferred design, though.

We could implement the strictness test with an argument to the zip
builtin function, but I don't think we should.  I still can't think of
a concrete use case for it from my own experience.  Of course I
believe concrete use cases exist, but that introspection makes me
suspicious of the claim that this should be a builtin feature, with
what is to my taste an ugly API.

Again, I don't expect to convince you, and you shouldn't expect to
convince me, at least not without more concrete and persuasive use
cases than I've seen so far.

Steve