As someone who also just subscribed to the mailing list about a month ago
to be kept abreast of what is going on within the Python development
community I have already stopped reading the mailing list as well. Every
time I look there is rarely ever technical discussion. As a new person I
know perhaps I don't have a horse in this race but in my personal opinion I
think heavier moderation of the mailing list may be warranted.
Conversations need to be quashed if they don't fit within the topic of the
list. Perhaps python-dev@python.org needs to have messages held in a queue
and only sent when they fit within the spirit of the discussion. I know
that pep8 is part of the language, but as it is style related maybe it
doesn't even have a place within Python-dev. In my opinion style guides are
always inherently political to begin with. If political discussion is
something that some readers want then maybe a mailing list about
administration and community should be a separate mailing list. Then those
discussions that end up here can be redirected there instead. It is my hope
that we can do something about the current state of the conversations in
python-dev. Whether or not you agree with the current style changes, I
think we can all agree that it has created a great deal of toxicity. Those
conversations have rarely ever been technically related and they especially
have not been helpful.