On Wed, Jul 8, 2020, 1:00 PM Paul Sokolovsky

> Right. So, if someone would like to add something to this thread, I'd
> humbly suggest to concentrate on the lack of, and need for, of
> const-ness in the Python language core (in comparison to other languages
> or not), and usecases it enables, and not on criteria for "popularness".

I admit I do not really understand what gain dynamic languages get from
constants. I pretty uniformly use a common convention of ALLCAPS for
constant names (knowing they are not really const in Python or bash, where
I tend to use them).

I think that clarifies intent in an important way. But checking it feels
like a job for linters, or perhaps for a future mypy or other type checker.

I can easily imagine that a VM might gain speed with that information, but
that alone does not feel like enough reason for a language change.