On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 4:58 PM Greg Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:

> What are you trying to achieve by using tagged pointers?
>
> It seems to me that in a dynamic environment like Python, tagged
> pointer tricks are only ever going to reduce memory usage, not
> make anything faster, and in fact can only make things slower
> if applied everywhere.

Hm... mypyc (an experimental Python-to-C compiler bundled with mypy) uses
tagged pointers to encode integers up to 63 bits. I think it's done for
speed, and it's probably faster in part because it avoids slow memory
accesses. But (a) I don't think there's overflow checking, and (b) mypyc is
very careful that tagged integers are never passed to the CPython runtime
(since mypyc apps link with an unmodified CPython runtime for data types,
compatibility with extensions and pure Python code). Nevertheless I think
it puts your blanket claim in some perspective.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*