On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:11:40 -0700
Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 4:58 PM Greg Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz>
> wrote:
>
> > What are you trying to achieve by using tagged pointers?
> >
> > It seems to me that in a dynamic environment like Python, tagged
> > pointer tricks are only ever going to reduce memory usage, not
> > make anything faster, and in fact can only make things slower
> > if applied everywhere.
> >

> Hm... mypyc (an experimental Python-to-C compiler bundled with mypy) uses
> tagged pointers to encode integers up to 63 bits. I think it's done for
> speed, and it's probably faster in part because it avoids slow memory
> accesses.

Certainly.  But I suspect the statically-typed aspect of mypyc helps it
avoid systematic condition checks when accessing those tagged pointers.
Which is not the case in a dynamically-typed setting such as Victor's
PR.

(however, tagged pointers + a runtime specializer could perhaps show
more benefits than the current PR)

Regards

Antoine.