> On 20 Oct 2020, at 14:53, Mark Shannon <m...@hotpy.org> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> CPython is slow. We all know that, yet little is done to fix it.
>
> I'd like to change that.
> I have a plan to speed up CPython by a factor of five over the next few
> years. But it needs funding.
>
> I am aware that there have been several promised speed ups in the past that
> have failed. You might wonder why this is different.
>
> Here are three reasons:
> 1. I already have working code for the first stage.
> 2. I'm not promising a silver bullet. I recognize that this is a substantial
> amount of work and needs funding.
> 3. I have extensive experience in VM implementation, not to mention a PhD in
> the subject.
>
> My ideas for possible funding, as well as the actual plan of development, can
> be found here:
>
> https://github.com/markshannon/faster-cpython
>
> I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

I don’t have anything useful to add to the discussion, other than to say that
I’m happing to see that
someone is willing to spent a significant amount of effort on making CPython
faster.  Especially
when that someone has worked on faster Python implementation before (look for a
HotPy talk at EuroPython).

I’m not too worried about the technical part and have no expertise at funding
at all. I am worried that
merging this work will take a significant amount of effort. This is likely to
result in fairly significant changes
to the core interpreter, and it might be hard to find enough core devs that
willing and able to review
changes in a timely manner.

Ronald