Hi Paul,

On 22/10/2020 1:18 pm, Paul Moore wrote:
On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 12:52, Mark Shannon <m...@hotpy.org> wrote:
Getting a PGO/LTO comparison against 3.10 is tricky.
Mainly because I'm relying on merging a bunch of patches and expecting
it to work :)

However, on a few simple benchmarks I'm seeing about a 70% speedup vs
master for both default and LTO configures.

I would expect a lower speedup on a wider range of benchmarks with a
PGO/LTO build. But 50% is definitely achievable.

Apologies if this is already mentioned somewhere, but is this across
all supported platforms (I'm specifically interested in Windows) or is
it limited to only some? I assume the long-term expectation would be
to get the speedup on all supported platforms, I'm mainly curious as
to whether your current results are platform-specific or general.

There is nothing platform specific.
I've only tested on Linux. I hope that the speedup on Windows should be a bit more, as MSVC seems to do better jump fusion than GCC.
(Not tested clang).

Cheers,
Mark.