On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 8:26 AM Sebastian Wiedenroth <wi...@frubar.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've already commented on the issue, but want to make a few more points
> here as well.
>
> Removing Solaris support would not only impact Oracle Solaris but the open
> source illumos community as well.
> Both systems share the "SunOS" uname for historical reasons. Removing
> support would be a disaster for us.
>
> We are a small community compared to Linux, but there are illumos
> distributions (OpenIndiana, OmniOS, SmartOS, Tribblix, ...) that have many
> python users.
> It's also an essential part of our tooling and package management.
>
> I've offered to host an illumos buildbot before but it was not accepted
> because not all tests passed at that time.
> There is active work going on to get this debugged and fixed.
> If it is acceptable to skip some tests we can have the buildbot online
> tomorrow.

FWIW making a PR that adds platform specific test skips or expected failure
decorators is a good way to start bringing up new buildbots.  It serves as
effective documentation of what does and doesn't work that lives directly
in the codebase, in a way that can be evolved over time as more is made to
work.

-gps

On the ticket many users and developers have offered to step up, myself