> On Oct 30, 2020, at 4:51 PM, Gregory P. Smith <g...@krypto.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 1:14 PM Raymond Hettinger
> <raymond.hettin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, when the tracker issue landed with a PR, I became concerned that it
> would be applied without further discussion and without consulting users.
>
> An issue and a PR doesn't simply mean "it is happening".

There have been a number of issues/pr pairs this year that have followed
exactly that path.

While we'll never know for sure, it is my belief that this would have been
applied had I not drawn attention to it.  Very few people follow the bug
tracker everyday — the sparse Solaris community almost certainly would not have
been aware of the tracker entry.   Likewise, I don't think there would have
been a python-dev thread; otherwise, it would have happened *prior* to the PR,
the tracker issue, and all of the comments from the people affected.  The call
for helpers was made only *after* the user pleas not to pull the trigger.

It's all fine now.  The decision is being broadly discussed.  That is what is
important.

Raymond