On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 1:29 PM Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * FWIW, I've closely monitored the bug tracker daily for almost two decades.
> We almost never get a user complaint that the tutorial is too advanced.  For
> the most part, it has long been of good service to users.  Almost certainly
> it can be improved, but hopefully not be dropping content.

If someone finds the tutorial to be too complex to follow, what is the
most likely thing for them to search for: "easy python tutorial", "how
do I report that the python tutorial is too hard", or "javascript
tutorial"? :)  I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of people
who have found our tutorial to be too hard have never made a bug
tracker account or even sent a message to docs@, and a significant
fraction of those have likely never learned Python at all.

I don't think there is much that should be *removed* from the current
tutorial.  However, I do think that the tutorial has grown long and
complex enough over the years that there's ample opportunity to trim
the main narrative down, and move more advanced topics (and/or more
advanced details of basic topics) into an "advanced" section, with
good linking between the main and advanced sections.  This is one of
the many things that the Doc WG should consider.

Disclaimer FTR, I did learn Python from the tutorial about a decade
ago with very little prior programming experience.  It's been about
that long since I've actually read through the whole thing, though :)