I was impressed by the good ideas put forward, however, some what not full
solutions.
My position: I have free time now and I want to contribute to open
source/freeware. But I don’t have great software in depth experience, however,
I’m willing to learn.
I was think of contributing to Python but I can't seem to see exactly where I
can contribute, except for the obvious place: docs. I have persevered reading
the bug list, emails and I find this helpful after discovering
https://cpython-core-tutorial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/where_should_i_start.html
Where I will see if I can progress, but I don’t have great hopes.

What I see is that CPython is written at the highest level of software
development, and found my own experience is difficult to get started, because
the bar is so high. It seems that you are having difficulty recruiting
enough/good developers?
So if you are honest about wanting to get new people to help then you need make
an investment to make it happen.
My suggestion: create the developers by creating group(s) of mentors from
across the whole team and actively train newcomers under a formal plan. The
format/program of course must suit the mentors and mentee. This will mean less
time for contributing to Python development but it will provide for a steady
stream of people to add to the team, possibly saving time later on, or adding
further content.

Regards,
Mike McLeod