On 12/9/2020 2:19 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
Greetings!

I'm hoping somebody can alleviate my confusion.  I had thought that the blurb tool was created to resolve the near-constant push races when the NEWS file was updated; but it appears that it only affects the change log.

Unreleased blurbs are put in Misc/NEWS.d/next.

For each release of a branch, the blurb are removed from .../next and consolidated into Misc/NEWS.d/x.y.z??, such as 3.10.0a3. PRs changing these file should only correct errors and not any other files. There should also never be push races.

If I have a change that really needs to be in the NEWS file itself, do I need to directly edit that file?

By NEWS, do you mean, for instance, Doc/whatsnew/3.10.rst? If you want to make sure that a new feature you merge is included, yes, add it to the file, Because of the fewer number of entries and much finer categorization, and hence more random insert locations, conflicts happen much less often than with the old news logs. Also, contributors do not usually add a What's New entry unless and until asked, and that can be delayed until a PR is sure to be merged somewhat soon.

Anything you write may be edited by the release manager or other editor. If the devguide says anything about this file, I could not find it. The devguide index only indexes PEP references.

--
Terry Jan Reedy