On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 10:15 AM Christian Heimes <christ...@python.org>
wrote:

> On 21/02/2021 13.47, glaub...@debian.org wrote:
> > Rust doesn't keep any user from building Rust for Tier 2 or Tier 3
> platforms. There is no separate configure guard. All platforms that Rust
> can build for, are always enabled by default. No one in Rust keeps anyone
> from cross-compiling code for sparc64 or powerpcspe, for example.
> >
> > So if you want to copy Rust's mechanism, you should just leave it as is
> and not claim that users are being confused because "m68k" shows up in
> configure.ac.
>
> A --enable-unstable-platforms configure flag is my peace offer to meet
> you half way. You get a simple way to enable builds on untested
> platforms and we can clearly communicate that some OS and hardware
> platforms are not supported.

I personally wouldn't want to maintain such a check in autoconf, but it'll
be an isolated thing on its own, that if you or someone else creates, will
do its job and not bother the rest of us.

I think just publishing our list of (1) supported, (2) best-effort
non-release-blocker quasi-supported, and (3) explicitly unsupported in a
policy doc is sufficient.  But it's not like any of us are going to stop
someone from codifying that in configure.ac to require a flag.

-gps