Hello!

On 2/22/21 12:30 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> The thing is you made assumptions about how downstream distributions use
>> Python without doing some research first ("16-bit m68k-linux").
>
> I'm talking about 16-bit memory alignment which causes SIGBUS if it's
> not respected on m68k. For example, unicodeobject.c requires special
> code just for this arch:
>
>     /*
>      * Issue #17237: m68k is a bit different from most architectures in
>      * that objects do not use "natural alignment" - for example, int and
>      * long are only aligned at 2-byte boundaries.  Therefore the assert()
>      * won't work; also, tests have shown that skipping the "optimised
>      * version" will even speed up m68k.
>      */
> #if !defined(__m68k__)
> (...)
>
> Such issue is hard to guess when you write code and usually only spot
> it while actually running the code on such architecture.

Just as a heads-up: There is a PR by Jessica Clarke now [1] which gets rid of
this
architecture-specific #ifdef. I think this is a good approach as it gets rid of
one
of your complaining points.

I have already verified that these changes don't break on 32-bit PowerPC,
64-bit SPARC
and, of course, M68k.

Thanks,
Adrian