On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 12:56:17PM +0000, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 11:04, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > This is 100% true. (At least the part where you say that "it's a
> > problem". I'm not sure if "it doesn't need to be like this" is true -
> > can you point to a language where the command line "just works" the
> > way you suggest?)
>
> Python from 15 years ago :)

Fifteen years ago, if I remember correctly, I had Python 1.5, 2.4 and
2.5 installed. (I may have some of the versions mixed up.)

When I typed `python` at the command line, the OS read the faint
electrical currents at my finger tips through the keyboard, extrapolated
the state of my brain, predicted the interpreter I wanted, and
unfailingly guessed the right one.

Nah just kidding. I'm pretty sure it ran 2.4, always.

> When installing julia you select the installer for your OS and there
> are some instructions for setting up PATH (although I didn't need to
> do that manually on OSX). After setup the instruction is that you type
> "julia" in the terminal and then Ctrl-D to exit. There are no caveats
> or mentions of different operating systems or words like "if" and
> "usually". The setup process is platform specific but then the usage
> instructions are not.

So what happens when I have two different Julia versions
installed?

--
Steve