On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 02:23:33PM +0000, David Mertz wrote:
> >> It even has a symbol for chains, which is associated even more
> >> closely with slavery than "master".
> >>

> All the other examples are also forced and contrived.  This is perhaps
> worst.  I own several chains for purposes having nothing to do with bondage
> or oppression.

Chains are an almost universal symbol of bondage and slavery: "Man is
born free but everywhere he is in chains", according to Rosseau (please
forgive the sexism, his sense was mankind as a whole regardless of sex
or gender). How is this contrived? Not just contrived, but the "worst"
example of it.

If "master" is hurtful and harmful because of its connotations, "chains"
is even more so. There are "harmless" (supposedly) meanings for "master"
too, and "master branch" is one, but we decided to remove that. And yet
you are resistant to changing the others. Why?

--
Steve