On 11/03/2021 00.38, Mike Miller wrote:

> On 2021-03-10 13:45, David Mertz wrote:
>> In contrast, the "master" used in version control directly borrows
>> from so-called "master/slave network architecture."
>

> It was shown upthread that this isn't the case.  Do you have more
> accurate documentation to refute the claim?
>
> - https://twitter.com/xpasky/status/1272280760280637441
> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastering_(audio)

Petr Baudis (xpasky) also wrote:

---
(But as noted in a separate thread, it is possible it stems from
bitkeeper's master/slave terminology. I hoped to do some historical
research but health emergency in my family delayed that.)

Regardless, the impression words form in the reader is more important
than their intent.
---

https://twitter.com/xpasky/status/1272817929046962176