Baptiste Carvello wrote:
> Le 14/04/2021 à 19:44, Guido van Rossum a écrit :

> > No, what I heard is that, since in *most* cases the string quotes are
> > not needed, people are surprised and annoyed when they encounter cases
> > where they are needed.

> Well, I had assumed quotes would be used in all cases for consistency.

That does seem like a reasonable solution.  Redundant, ugly, and annoying, but
safe and consistent.  Sort of like using type constraints in the first place.
:D

> > ... the rule for finding the end of
> > an annotation would be very simple -- just skip words until the next
> > comma, close paren or colon, skipping matching brackets etc.

> ... But the hypothetic "def foo(prec:
> --precision int):" is already less readable. Will finding the closing
> comma or colon always be obvious to the human reader?

Nope.  "--" sometimes means "ignore the rest of the line, including the ")".
At the moment, I can't remember where I've seen this outside of SQL, but I can
guarantee that if I read it late enough at night, the *best* case would be that
I notice the ambiguity, guess correctly and am only annoyed.

-jJ