On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 6:25 PM Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 4:50 PM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 3:26 PM Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >> Sure. This was in my list of reasons why the backwards compatibility
> >> tradeoffs are forcing us into awkward compromises. I only elaborated
> >> on it b/c in your last email you said you didn't understand why this
> >> was a problem :-). And except* is definitely useful. But I think there
> >> are options for 'except' that haven't been considered fully.
> >
> > Do you have any suggestions, or are you just telling us to think harder?
> > Because we've already thought as hard as we could and within all the
> > constraints (backwards compatibility and otherwise) we just couldn't think
> > of a better one.
>
> The main possibility that I don't think we've examined fully is to
> make 'except' blocks fire multiple times when there are multiple
> exceptions.

Vanilla except blocks? Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but that
could cause some problems. Consider:

trn.begin()
try:
except BaseException:
    trn.rollback()
    raise
else:
    trn.commit()

What happens if multiple exceptions get raised? Will the transaction
be rolled back more than once? What gets reraised?

If I'm completely misunderstanding you here, my apologies.

ChrisA