On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 00:52, Dan Stromberg <drsali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 4:25 PM Greg Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz>
> wrote:
>>
>> > On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 8:55 AM Ammar Askar <am...@ammaraskar.com
>> > <mailto:am...@ammaraskar.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     most
>> >     recently if your topic mentioned libera.chat, the new freenode owners
>> >     will take it over, ban anyone from chatting in it and change the topic
>>
>> My goodness. Let's hope the new owners eventually learn that behaving
>> like spoilt 7-year-olds is no way to run a successful company.
>
> Sometimes this is a cultural issue.  In at least some parts of Asia it
> appears to be accepted.

I don't think this is a cultural issue so much as an issue with a
particular person.

I've never really used IRC or freenode but I realised when reading
about this that Andrew Lee sounded like someone I'd heard about
before. Turns out I do know people who have had direct dealings with
him. The message from those people is clear: avoid him like the
plague. The impression I have is that his intentions are likely not
malicious but his effect (on freenode or anything else) could easily
be devastating in any case.

--
Oscar