On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 6:44 AM Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:

> I think it makes sense, and I do see a difference between Provisional and
> Unstable.  Is this anything more than a documentation label?

Would it be a pipe dream to hope that static checkers could be taught
to recognize them? Not a huge deal, but it would mean you could ask
something to analyze your code (I hesitate to call it a type checker,
since this is nothing to do with data types, but the same kind of
tool) and it'd tell you whether your code is (a) portable to all OSes,
(b) portable to all Pythons, and (c) stable across versions.

BTW, does "unstable" cover things like dis.dis(), which have existed
and will continue to exist for many versions, but their output can
change? In one sense, dis.dis() always does the exact same thing: it
shows you the disassembly of a piece of code. In another sense, its
output changes drastically when things change.

ChrisA