On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 8:31 AM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 2:01 PM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 6:44 AM Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think it makes sense, and I do see a difference between Provisional and
>> > Unstable.  Is this anything more than a documentation label?
>> >

>> Would it be a pipe dream to hope that static checkers could be taught
>> to recognize them? Not a huge deal, but it would mean you could ask
>> something to analyze your code (I hesitate to call it a type checker,
>> since this is nothing to do with data types, but the same kind of
>> tool) and it'd tell you whether your code is (a) portable to all OSes,
>> (b) portable to all Pythons, and (c) stable across versions.
>

> Yeah, this could easily be taken on by any of the many linters.

Cool cool.

>> BTW, does "unstable" cover things like dis.dis(), which have existed
>> and will continue to exist for many versions, but their output can
>> change? In one sense, dis.dis() always does the exact same thing: it
>> shows you the disassembly of a piece of code. In another sense, its
>> output changes drastically when things change.
>

> That's debatable. I sure hope people aren't ever parsing dis output.

That's exactly what I mean. People shouldn't be parsing that output,
because it's human-readable. Does it count as an API change when the
human-readable output is giving different information?

Actually, I think I just talked myself out of this. The
sys.version_info tuple is going to change from one version to another
(obviously!), but it is, by definition, stable and dependable. So I
think no, it's not "unstable" based on human-readable output.

ChrisA