On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 12:23 PM Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
> As a builtin, not my problem, I'm not the proponent.  As a facility
> with *some* spelling, it's convenient in contexts where chr() is, but
> much less so (eg, coding ROT13 ;-).  I know I've used this translation
> in mail hacking, but I don't recall whether the code was Python or
> Lisp.

Stephen does not advocate bchr() as a built-in or library function,
but he just gave a great reason why it should not be a built-in: it's
hard to find compelling and common use cases.

A built-ins should be one or more of:

- extremely useful in daily coding, like len() and list() etc.
- foundational, like next(), classmethod() and iter() etc.
- hard to create in Python code, like breakpoint(), compile() etc.

super() is an example that fits all of those groups.

bchr() (or whatever name it might have) fits none.

Cheers,

Luciano

> Regards,
> Steve