On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 08:09:33PM -0700, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> I think Nick is on board with bytes.fromint() and no bchr(), and my
> sense of the sentiment here is that this would be an acceptable
> resolution for most folks.  Ethan, can you reconsider?

I haven't been completely keeping up with the entire thread, so
apologies if this has already been covered. I assume that the idea is
that bytes.fromint should return a single byte, equivalent to chr()
returning a single character.

To me, it sounds like should be the opposite of int.from_bytes.

    >>> int.from_bytes(b'Hello world', 'little')
    121404708502361365413651784
    >>> bytes.from_int(121404708502361365413651784, 'little')
    # should return b'Hello world'

If that's not the API being suggested, that's going to be confusing.

How about bytes.bchr()?

    bytes.bchr(n) --> a single byte

    bytes.from_int(n, byteorder)  --> one or more bytes

Personally, I think I would use the one or more bytes version more then
the single bchr version, so if we only had one, I vote for that.

--
Steve