On Sep 9, 2021, at 10:56, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 9/9/21 9:37 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>
> > While I think int.to_bytes() is pretty obscure (I knew about it, forgot
> > about it, and learned
> > about it again!) I’m not so sure it’s any less obscure than a proposed
> > bytes.fromint().
> >
> > So why don’t we just relax int.to_bytes()’s signature to include natural
> > default values:
> >
> >      int.to_bytes(length=1, byteorder=sys.byteorder, *, signed=False)
> >
> > Then I ought to be able to just do
> >
> >      >>> (65).to_bytes()
> >      b’A’
>
> That seems so much worse than
>
>    >>> bchr(65)
>    b'A'
>
> ;-)

Maybe, but given that you can *already* do the equivalent of bchr() with:

>>> (65).to_bytes(1, sys.byteorder)
b'A'

it seems like a small stretch to make that more usable, and that would outweigh
adding a difficult to understand new builtin.  TOOWTDI.

In case you really want bchr():

def bchr(x):
    return x.to_bytes(1, sys.byteorder)

>>> bchr(65)