I fully admit serious bikeshedding here, but:

I'm starting to think the name should be `bytes.bchr` -- it avoids any
> confusion with the `int.to_bytes` and
> `int.from_bytes` methods,

are they so different? :-)

In [23]: x.to_bytes(1, 'little')
Out[23]: b'A'

In [27]: int.from_bytes(b'A', 'little')
Out[27]: 65

you can think of this as a useful specific case of the int methods.

(by the way, why do I need to specify the byte order for a 1 byte int? Yes,
I know, it's always a required parameter -- though that 's one reason to
have the special case easily available)

and is an appropriate name for the target domain (where bytes are treated
> as characters).

Is that the target domain? Yes, it's an important use case, but
certainly not the only one, and frankly kind of a specialized use case
actually. If you are working with characters (text) in Python 3, you should
be using the str type.

Using bytes for general text (even if you know the text at hand is all
ASCII) is not recommended. It is useful to use bytes for the specialized
use case of mixed text and binary data (which, by the way, I have had to
do) but I don't think we should say that particular use case is what bytes
are  targeted for. Anyone doing that should know what they are doing :-)

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)

Python Language Consulting