On 10/4/2021 5:47 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:18:35 -0400
Calvin Spealman <cspea...@redhat.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 12:07 PM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

The question was about which style to *recommend* (a la PEP-8).

I think the very fact that it can't (or is difficult) be enforced,

How so?  If style checkers are already able to check whitespace around
operators, they should be to check whitespace in this instance as well.

Do you suggest that PEP 8 violations should be detected by the Python
parser itself?

No, but if it isn't decided by *us*, it'll be decided by whoever contributes it to Black first.

To me, the "*name" looks most similar to how we write "*args" in a function definition, so I'd go for that.

We don't currently modify[1] keywords with punctuation, and that's what "except*" looks like, and "except * E" looks like a binary operator and/or grit on the screen.

Cheers,
Steve

[1]: Meaning to "give it a different meaning in particular context", not _literally_ modify in any permanent sense.