On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 7:34 PM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
> How about *not* asking for an exception and just following the PEP 387
> process? Is that really too burdensome?

The Backward Compatibility section gives an explanation:

"This change does not follow the PEP 387 deprecation process. There is no
known way to emit a deprecation warning when a macro is used as a
l-value, but not when it's used differently (ex: r-value)."

Apart of compiler warnings, one way to implement the PEP 387
"deprecation process" would be to announce the change in two "What's
New in Python 3.X?" documents. But I expect that it will not be
efficient. Extract of the Rejected Idea section:

"(...) only few developers read the documentation, and only a minority
is tracking changes of the Python C API documentation."

In my experience, even if a DeprecationWarning is emitted at runtime,
developers miss or ignore it. See the recent "[Python-Dev] Do we need
to remove everything that's deprecated?" discussion and complains
about recent removal of deprecated features, like:

* collections.MutableMapping was deprecated for 7 Python versions
(deprecated in 3.3) -- removed in 3.9 alpha, reverted in 3.9 beta,
removed again in 3.11
* the "U" open() flag was deprecated for 10 Python versions
(deprecated in 3.0) -- removed in 3.9 alpha, reverted in 3.9 beta,
removed again in 3.11

For this specific PEP changes, I consider that the number of impacted
projects is low enough to skip a deprecation process: only 4 projects
are known to be impacted. One year ago (Python 3.10), 16 were
impacted, and 12 have already been updated in the meanwhile. I'm
talking especially about Py_TYPE() and Py_SIZE() changes which, again,
has been approved by the Steering Council.

Victor