On 12/7/2021 6:52 PM, Sebastian Berg wrote:
One thing we once did in NumPy (for a runtime problem), was to
intentionally break everyone at pre-release/dev time to point out what
code needed fixing.  Then flip the switch back at release time as to
not break production.
After a long enough time we enabled it for release mode.

Not saying that it was nice, but it was the only alternative would have
been to never fix it.

I like this idea. We'd have to turn it back for RC, and ensure that it's possible to have working code both before/after the change. We may be getting enough usage during beta for it to be worthwhile, though we still have the problem of knock-on effects (where e.g. until NumPy works, nothing that depends on it can even begin testing).

Cheers,
Steve