On 07. 12. 21 17:54, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
Sorry for stepping in - but I am seeing too many arguments in favour
of the rules because "they are the rules", and just Victor arguing with
what is met in the "real world".

OTOH, coming up with rules and then blatantly ignoring them is silly at best.

If the rules are bad, they should definitely be changed. And if a case is exceptional enough, we should make an exception -- but to make an exception we need a very good understanding of why the rules are the way they are (and in this case. I don't think any single person has the proper understanding).

One of the roles the backwards compatibility policy serves is a promise to our users. They can expect to not run into problems if they only upgrade to every second Python version and fix deprecation warnings (except for "extreme situations such as dangerously broken or insecure features or features no one could reasonably be depending on").
That is, IMO, a pretty good reason to consider sticking to the rules.