> On 12/18/2021 3:13 PM, Batuhan Taskaya wrote:
>
> > tl;dr: I find it very troubling that we are going on a path where need
> > to increase the language complexity (syntax) only in the cause
> > 'easier' typing.

Which brings up the question is whether it's worth adding  syntax for
typing, but only in the context of typing. As of right now,
typing.get_type_hints() will evaluate a string annotation, e.g.

In [62]: def f(x:"int"):
    ...:     pass
    ...:

In [63]: typing.get_type_hints(f)
Out[63]: {'x': int}

so get_type_hints could extend its acceptable syntax with this new use of
-> -- and it could get used by wrapping it in quotes. And depending on
how PEP 563 gets resolved, the quotes may not be necessary in the future.

And this could open up some other nifty things, like extending what's
allowable inside [] -- there was a discussion a while back on python-ideas
about extending the __getitem__ protocol, partly motivated by type hints.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)

Python Language Consulting