Hi Irit,

Irit Katriel via Python-Dev schrieb am 01.02.22 um 23:04:
There two separate issues here. One is the timing of committing changes into
cython, and the other is the process by which the cython devs learn about
cpython development.

On the first issue, you wrote:

I'm reluctant to working on adapting Cython during alphas, because it
happened more than once that incompatible changes in CPython were rolled
back or modified again during alpha, beta and rc phases. That means more
work for me and the Cython project, and its users. Code that Cython users
generate and release on their side with a release version of Cython will
then be broken, and sometimes even more broken than with an older Cython
release.

I saw in your patch that you make changes such that they impact only the
new cpython version. So for old versions the generated code should not be
broken. Surely you don't guarantee that cython code generated for an alpha
version of cpython will work on later versions as well?  Users who generate
code for an alpha version should regenerate it for the next alpha and for
beta, right?

I'd just like to note that we are talking about three different projects and dependency levels here (CPython, Cython and a project that uses Cython), all three have different release cycles, and not all projects can afford to go through a new release with a new Cython version regularly or on the "emergency" event of a new CPython release. Some even don't provide wheels and require their users to do a source build on their side. Often with a fixed Cython version dependency, or even with pre-generated and shipped C sources, which makes it harder for the end users to upgrade Cython as a work-around.

But at least it should be as easy for the maintainers as updating their Cython version and pushing a new release. In most cases. And things are also becoming easier these days with improvements in the packaging ecosystem. It can just take a bit until everyone has had the chance to upgrade along the food chain.

On the second issue:

I don't have the capacity to follow all relevant changes in CPython,
incompatible or not.

We get that, and this is why we're asking to work with you on cython updates
so that this will be easier for all of us. There are a number of cpython
core devs
who would like to help cython maintenance. We realise how important and
thinly resourced cython is, and we want to reduce your maintenance burden.
With better communication we could find ways to do that.

I'm sure we will. Thanks for your help. It is warmly appreciated.

Returning to the issue that started this thread - how do you suggest we
proceed with the exc_info change?

I'm not done sorting out the options yet. Regarding CPython, I think it's best to keep the current changes in there. It should be easier for us to continue from where we are now than to adapt again to a revert in CPython.

Stefan