On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 5:52 PM Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum schrieb am 02.02.22 um 01:43:
> Yes. HPy is certainly far from ready for anything real, but even for the
> Limited API, it's still unclear whether it's actually complete enough to
> cover Cython's needs. Basically, the API that Cython uses must really to
> be
> able to implement CPython on top of itself. And at the same time interact
> not with the reimplementation but with the underlying original, at the C
> level. The C-API, and especially the Limited API, were never really meant
> for that.

Undoubtedly.

My question for you is if you're willing to write up a list of things in
CPython that you depend on. Or is this just something you're not willing to
commit to? It would be nice to know which it is, just so the CPython team
knows what we're up against. And if you just want to retain the freedom to
use any and all CPython internals you can gain access to, maybe (a) Cython
users should be told, so they can be prepared for the consequences, and (b)
you should probably just #define the C preprocessor symbols that let you
#include the truly internal headers so you can do what you want.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*