On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 11:50 PM Inada Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be nice to provide something similar to _PY_IDENTIFIER, but
> designed (and documented) for 3rd party modules like this.

I suppose I'd like to know what the value of _Py_IDENTIFIER() is for
3rd party modules.  They can already use PyUnicode_InternFromString()
to get a "global" object and then store it in their module state.  I
would not expect _Py_IDENTIFIER() to provide much of an advantage over
that.  Perhaps I'm missing something?

If there is a real benefit then we should definitely figure out a good
public API for it (if the current private one isn't sufficient).  I
won't be authoring that PEP though. :)

-eric