On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 9:40 AM Paul Bryan <pbr...@anode.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-03-18 at 09:35 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> The motivation has been explained already.
>

> In this thread?

Yes, Eric's message.

> What on earth did your test do that got a speedup by using sets? Was it
> repeatedly checking whether a variable was in a slot? The other thing this
> does is rearrange the order in which slots appear from run to run (since
> set order is affected by hash randomization) and you might have gotten
> lucky with a popular attribute being moved to the front, where it's more
> likely to be in the memory cache already (cache lines being 64 bytes and
> pointers being 8 bytes nowadays).
>

> I created objects in a tight loop, populating attributes, noting the
> elapsed time.

It does not make sense that that is correlated to the type of __slots__,
since __slots__ is not used for instance creation at all (it is only used
to create the class). I stick to my likely explanation.

Regarding Serhiy's proposal, I'm +0 on disallowing strings, and +0 on
disallowing things that can't be reiterated (but it's not a problem in
practice). Given other responses the status quo is likely best.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*