Not sure if this is relevant, but I know they updated the openssl version
in Python 3.10. I had the opposite problem trying to use Python 3.10 on
CentOS 7 which has the old openSSL. I had to back off to 3.9. maybe running
over the network invoked openSSL at some point and that's where the
disconnect occurs?

I would check which openSSL your host os uses.